
I finally bought a new accessory for my Nintendo DS: web browser add-on. Before buying it. I was searching online for any local Singapore web review on the browser. Unfortunately, there was little or none on it, with only a few statements on local gaming forums like hardwarezones and gameaxis. Hence I decided to plunge into it and buy one to test it out myself. I paid S$65 for the American version while according to the shop at Cineleisure, the Japanese version actually cost more at S$85, something which puzzled me. Logically the Japanese version is in native japanese language thus should be cheaper than the American version in English.
After slotting a memory expansion housed in a transparent into the GBA slot and the software catridge into my white DS, the first prompt is for the user to type in a password for the browser. Next comes setting the WiFi connections. I tried to connect to the Wireless@Sg WiFi at a nearby MacDonald restarurant. During the connection setup, the browser was able to picked up the signals very easily. Configurations were automated. I was immediately brought into a Qmax page to log in.
I then tried to surf the following websites:
Channel News Asia website: Page was loaded promptly although it's speed cannot be compared with a laptop. The entire page was loaded correctly at the lower screen of my DS. Using the stylus, I was able to scroll the lower screen to read the details at the upper screen.
Gmail: Able to access my mailbox with the correct formats.
Golden Village: Home page can be loaded but unortunately cannot access showtimes as it might be written as a script.
Street Directory: Browser was able to load the entire page but users have to be patient especially in waiting for the map to be loaded in a small screen.
Overall, the DS brower can be used as a mini web browser to check on some non-mission critical stuff like sports scores, looking at a map, check email, etc while outside. But it cannot and will not replace the laptop as the front line gadgent for general use. However it is always marvelous have a simple gadget that is able to surf the web whenever you need it outside but do not carry a laptop with you. The DS webbrowser is meant exactly for those situations.
No comments:
Post a Comment